Wednesday, February 14, 2018

UPDATE: Massive liturgical changes - Benedict XVI's reaction

A weak Pope Emeritus fights for the liturgy he loves so much.

 
Four months ago, this Blog had revealed that this year the Novus Ordo Lectionary and Calendar are to be imposed upon the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Mass. However, there is increasing opposition within the Roman Curia to such changes - led by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. A man of integrity and a towering intellect whose theological writings will endure, Benedict XVI, albeit very frail, does not want the dismantling of the work done that culminated in Summorum Pontificum.
 
Benedict XVI's letter to the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, published on 7 February 2018, gives a hint of where the Pope Emeritus' heart lies.
 
“Dear Dott. Franco, 
I was moved that so many readers of your newspaper would like to know how I am spending this last period of my life. I can only say that with the slow decline of my physical forces, interiorly, I am on a pilgrimage towards Home. It is a great grace for me to be surrounded in this last, sometimes a little tiring, piece of road, by such love and goodness that I could not have imagined. In this sense, I also consider the question of your readers as an accompaniment along a stretch. This is why I cannot but be grateful, assuring all of you of my prayers. Best regards.” (Emphasis ours)
However, the modernist wing continues the implementation of its task unabated. The so-called 'reform of the reform' will be further weakened, at the expense of the pre-Conciliar liturgy as much as possible. More on this to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment